• Users Online: 173
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 4  |  Page : 117-121

An audit of over two decades of treating pituitary adenomas at a tertiary care facility


1 Department of Radiotherapy, Ram Manohar Lohia Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
2 Department of Radiotherapy, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
3 Department of Endocrinology, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
4 Department of Neurosurgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
5 Department of Neurosurgery, Fortis Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Rohini Khurana
Department of Radiotherapy, Ram Manohar Lohia Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0973-0168.199308

Rights and Permissions

Aims: This retrospective audit of long-term outcomes and treatment sequelae with conventional radiotherapy (RT) is presented with an objective to provide baseline data with which outcomes of high precision techniques (fractionated radiosurgery and intensity-modulated RT [IMRT]) may be compared. Materials and Methods: Between the years 1990 and 2012, a total of 182 patients of pituitary adenoma were registered in the Department of Radiotherapy. Of these, 156 received RT. Immobilization consisted of a plaster of Paris cast (1990–1995), acrylic cast (1996–2000), a three-point head fixation thermoplastic cast (2001–2006), and now we are using “U”-IMRT thermoplastic cast since 2007 onward. A 2-field technique was used in 7% patients, whereas in the remaining 93% patients, 3-field technique was used. Forty-seven percent of patients were treated on a telecobalt unit and the remaining 53% patients on 6 MV linear accelerator. Rectangular fields, no field shaping, and appropriate wedges were used with mean field sizes (standard deviation [SD] and range) being 41.4 cm2 (16, 25–100). Mean dose (SD, range) was 47.5 Gy (SD 3.2; range 45–55) given in 1.8–2.0 Gy/fraction, 5 fractions/week. Results: Sixty percent of patients were (93/156) males. Median age was 37 years (mean - 37, SD - 13.2, range 12–66); 40.4% (63/156) had functional tumors. Presenting features were mainly headache 125 (80%), field defects 91 (58.3%), menstrual disturbances 33 (53% of women), and acromegalic features 38 (24.4%). Suprasellar extension, 129 (82.7%), was most common. All patients underwent resection; out of them, 28.2% patients had multiple surgeries. At a median (range) follow-up of 33 months (2–212) of all patients, the estimated freedom from progression was 96% at 2 years and 92% at 5 and 10 years with no patient failing beyond 18 months. Conclusions: Conventional external RT as described in postoperative cases of pituitary adenoma is safe and effective for tumor control with a median time to normalization of hormonal hypersecretion being about 30 months.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1493    
    Printed84    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded124    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal